To reach your recommended daily fluid intake, water is best; however, you can incorporate a variety of different kinds of drinks. Please use the guide below:
These drinks contain no calories and can be consumed freely:
• Water with a squeeze of lemon or lime
• Mineral water
• Herbal tea
These drinks contain calories and should be consumed in moderation:
• Coffee – Limit to 2 a day due to the caffeine content and reduce the calorie content by using skim milk and sweetner rather than sugar.
• Fruit Juice – Select one that has no added sugar and contains around 100 calories or less. Ensure you account for this in your daily calorie allowance.
These drinks are high in calories and contain little or no nutrients:
• Alcohol – Contains no nutrients and very high in calories, very detrimental to weight loss.
• Soft Drinks – Very high in sugar and offers barely any nutritional benefits. Even low-joule or calorie free soft drinks should be avoided as these are full of other added additives to compensate for flavour.
How much weight can you expect to lose?
Weight loss varies from person to person depending on many factors such as start weight, gender, how many meals are being replaced and if any exercise is being incorporated. As a general rule, if you are replacing all three meals a day, you can expect to lose about one kilo a week. If you are replacing 2 meals a day and eating well for your snacks and normal meals, you should expect to lose up to one kilo a week. If you are following the program correctly and haven’t experienced any weight loss for 3 weeks, please contact a Customer Care representative to discuss what may be affecting your weight loss.
Reasons for weight re-gain
Doing what you’ve always done.
If you don’t change your eating behaviour, once you stop a weight loss program, you will struggle to keep the weight off.
The body: It can take up to 6 months to set a new body weight. Until then, the body thinks that something is wrong and tries to get the body back up to its original weight by either reducing metabolic rate or increasing your appetite.
Exercise: The more muscle a person has, the more calories they will burn each day. Exercise will help burn off extra calories and also build more muscle. This in turn will help to manage weight more effectively. Regular exercise also makes the muscles more efficient at burning fat, rather than carbohydrates for energy and therefore is an important part of ongoing weight maintenance.
Customising Shakes and Soups
Proslim VLCD shakes and soups can be mixed up in different ways to provide more variety however, it is important to account for these additional calories and not exceed your daily calorie allowance.
What normal foods can be eaten whilst following the Transition 2 Phase?
The Proslim program is quite flexible and doesn’t restrict any food groups, but it is crucial that your normal meals are well balanced and don’t exceed your daily calorie allowance. It should be portion controlled and sensible.
• Try and include a palm size piece of protein, low GI carbohydrates and avoid saturated fats.
• Use the Australian Guide to Healthy Eating as advice to which portion size certain food groups should be eaten.
• Be wary of your cooking methods and avoid any sort of frying. Bake, steam poach or grill food whenever possible.
Snacks are an important part of the Proslim program as they not only help regulate metabolism but they assist with feeling hungry therefore, reducing the chances of binge eating. Snacks should be under 100 calories and should be incorporated between meals, some suggestions include:
• A piece of fruit
• Slice of toast with hommus
• Crumpet with honey
• Tin of tuna in spring water
• 2 cups of popcorn – unbuttered/unsalted
• Small tub of fat-free yoghurt
• 14 almonds
Recommended weigh-in schedule
Try and weigh yourself no more than once a week, preferable at the same time and on the same scales. It’s normal for weight to fluctuate on a daily and even hourly basis due to little changes happening within the body. Use the scales as an indication, but do not rely too much on them, especially if you are exercising as muscle is more dense and weighs more than fat. This can be mistakenly interpreted as putting on fat and can be discouraging. Take measurements and record these as well as your weight.
Although the Proslim VLCD program is designed to help you lose weight by reducing your calorie intake to less than what your body requires for its basic function meaning, you will still lose weight even without exercise. We recommend incorporating exercise if you are physically able to as it not only maintains muscle tone but also helps to increase metabolism to burn more fat.
Start off slowly and gradually build up and aim for 20-30 minutes of physical activity each day, this can include gardening, housework and shopping. Simple tips to help you become more physically active include:
• Parking further when going somewhere to increase your time spent walking
• Using the stairs instead of a lift
• Carrying your shopping bags instead of using a trolley
• Stretch to reach items in high places and squat or bend to look at items at floor level
Reaching a plateau
If you are doing all the right things and haven’t changed your diet or exercise plan that was initially causing you to lose weight then you may have reached a weight loss plateau. It is very common to reach a plateau as you are losing weight. Our bodies easily adapt to routine so it may be necessary to change your routine to shock the system into losing weight again.
• Using the Proslim VLCD Rapid range as it includes added ingredients to help boost weight loss
• Begin an exercise routine or change an existing one
• Depending on how many meal replacements you are using, you may need to increase the amount you are replacing
• Incorporate healthy snacks to boost your metabolic rate